About Mendicity Institution
The Mendicity Institute works to reduce and prevent homelessness by empowering individuals to return to the workforce, as well as support homeless migrants become integrated into society.
We are currently looking to recruit a team of volunteers to assist with our evening Free Phone service. Many of those accessing Mendicity’s services are calling the Homeless Free Phone at 4.30pm daily, and are on one-night-only basis in hostels. Should they not receive a bed at 4.30, they are required to call back at 10.30 pm.
Mendicity’s Evening Free Phone service provides support in various ways:
- Free Phone support to those who don’t speak English as their first language
- Support to those who don’t have access to a phone
- A place to wait for those who can’t access hostels until later that evening
and/or who need to call back the Freephone at 10.30pm
- Assessment, support planning and goal setting
- Preparing housing and other applications along with assistance, information and advocacy.
- Providing information in relation to social welfare supports, housing and training available
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• To support the staff member on duty
• To ensure the supervision and safety of all service users present in the building
• Support staff in preparing and serving a light meal
• Ensuring the food centre is left clean and tidy when finished
• Conversing with service users and assisting staff in helping service users accessing accommodation and other relevant services
• Calling the Free Phone at 10.30pm if necessary
• Complying with Mendicity’s Policies and Procedures
The Mendicity Institution is the oldest working charity in Dublin. Established in 1818, it has been in operation for over 200 years creating opportunities for people experiencing homelessness, isolation and marginalization.
What's required for this position
1. Must be committed to, and passionate about, working with people and empowering them to overcome the issues they are faced with.
2. Have strong communication skills, personable and friendly
3. Excellent time management skills
4. Ability to follow instructions from staff but also to use initiative when required
5. Available one evening per week (Mon - Fri) between 6 pm - 11 pm
- Community Development/ Social work
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Multi-lingual/ Multi-culturalism
- Personable Skills
- Phone Support/ Information Giver
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 3 months
Hours required: 5hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
The Mendicity Institution, 9 Island Street, Dublin 8
Also available in these counties
Dublin - Fingal, Dublin
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Volunteers will have the opportunity to work for Dublin's oldest working charity. They will also have the opportunity to help those who are most vulnerable and most in need in our society, and be part of the process of lobbying for better services
Mendicity is less than 5 min walk from Smithfield Luas, and is near a number of buses. There is also ample on street parking outside which is free of charge from 7 pm until 7 am.
View on a map