About Solas Project
Solas Project is a charity (CHY 17385) based in Dublin 8. Our vision is to see communities rejuvenated. We aim to do this by equipping and building up young people to overcome all limitations imposed on them by social and educational disadvantage through the adventure of discovering their abilities and self-worth.
Would you like to make a difference to the next generation? Here's your chance to be part of something bigger, to provide a consistent, home away from home, safe place for children to come to every day after school.
The children aged 5 - 13 come from challenging backgrounds. 'The Club' is a place for them to grow and flourish. A place where they can discover what they're good at. A place where they can dream about their future and know that they are loved.
As a volunteer, you'll be inspired in the process of getting to know each of the individual children seeing the impact that a consistent secure environment can have on their, sometimes, turbulent lives.
What’s involved in volunteering?
At Solas Project we rely on our fantastic and committed team of volunteers. Tasks will include:
- Sitting down with children at meal time
- Helping clear up plates and cups (packing the dishwasher)
- Supervising groups of 2-3 children for homework time, affirming their efforts and giving them some pointers (but not all the answers)
- Gently encouraging children to get involved in the activities and providing a listening ear to those who are reluctant to participate
SUMMARY: your role is to be there for the children, engage with them, listen to their stories, ask them to tell you more, laugh with them and try not to take anything too personally remembering that they are children.
Visit our website here
What's required for this position
We are looking for someone who…
- Enjoys interacting and playing with children.
- Is compassionate and understanding.
- Brings a sense of enthusiasm and energy.
- Is reliable, patient, resilient and flexible
A prior exposure to either young people or vulnerable people in a disadvantaged context is a great advantage but not a requirement for this role.
- Arts/ Music/ Drama
- Community Development/ Social work
- Education/ Training
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
- Youth/ Childcare
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 6 months
Hours required: 4hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
St Catherine's Church, Basin Lane, Dublin 8
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
This is a perfect opportunity to gain experience if you're interested in youth work, social work, teaching, psychology, community outreach work or childcare. It's also a chance to feel like you are contributing to redeem society's socio economic imbalance
Fatima LUAS stop on red line, 123 bus etc.