ALONE is a national organisation that supports older people to age at home. We work with people over the age of 60 to provide and coordinate access to any services they need. ALONE creates unique solutions for each older person working in partnership with all services, friends and family, giving them options for the type of support that’s best for them, regardless of their situation. Supported by volunteers, we offer a range of services including: Befriending, Housing with Support, Support Coordination, Technology, and Campaigns for Change.
Befriending is a supported one-to-one relationship between a volunteer and an older person who has been linked in with ALONE. The ALONE Befriending Service provides companionship to older people who are socially isolated through a weekly volunteer visit. Where possible, volunteers provide support with practical tasks and basic advocacy. The Befriending Service is designed to help alleviate the negative impacts loneliness has on mental and physical health.
Are you that someone? If you’re interested in visiting an older person on a weekly basis, please sign up online here
The Role of the Befriending Volunteer:
• To commit to weekly visits to an older person you are matched with for a minimum of 1 year, providing companionship.
• To attend training, and follow the ALONE guidelines throughout your time with ALONE.
• To provide basic practical support for the older person where necessary. (Volunteers are not substitutes for home-help or care assistants and should not take on these roles)
• To support the older person when attending ALONE social events.
• To support the older person to integrate in their community – such as encouraging them to join local groups and initiatives for older people.
• To be an advocate for the older person where necessary. This might mean making a phone call on their behalf or helping them fill in a form.
What's required for this position
*You must be over 18 years of age, garda vetting will be carried by Alone and two references are required.
*A strong commitment to the ethos of volunteering
*Good interpersonal and communication skills
*Must be reliable, flexible, respectful, patient and kind
*Must have an interest in working with older persons and a genuine understanding and respect for their needs
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 1hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Older person's home in Dublin
Also available in these counties
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Insurance cover