Helping older people in need is the founding principle of ALONE and has guided our work over the years. To the present day our objectives remain exactly that they were when the organisation was founded.
- to provide food, clothing, heating requirements and other comforts for people over sixty years of age who are unable to provide for themselves.
- to provide shelter or accommodation on a temporary or permanent basis for such people.
- to provide education and information services on the problems and needs of older people living on their own.
- to provide assistance in the refurbishing, renovations and redecoration of accommodation
ALONE’s befriending service provides companionship through a weekly volunteer visit to an older person who is lonely or socially isolated. There are a number of older people in your area looking for someone to call in for a visit and chat every week.
Are you that someone? If you’re interested in visiting an older person on a weekly basis, find out about our upcoming information session by signing up online here
As a Befriender you will provide social contact and companionship
* Provide emotional support
* Provide practical support
* Provide friendly call service with specific older persons for the purpose of their health and well-being
* Carry out check-in visits
* Accompany older people to appointments as required
* To enhance the quality of our services
* To follow the policies and procedures of Alone
What's required for this position
*You must be over 18 years of age, garda vetting will be carried by Alone and two references are required.
*A strong commitment to the ethos of volunteering
*Good interpersonal and communication skills
*Must be reliable, flexible, respectful, patient and kind
*Must have an interest in working with older persons and a genuine understanding and respect for their needs
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 1hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Older person's home in Dublin
Also available in these counties
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Insurance cover