About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. In association with the local community, we support people to live independently and safely in their own homes and neighbourhoods, thereby reducing isolation. We believe in the power of community, both to create a welcome and supportive living environment for its people, and we believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
Volunteer Role Description:
The role of Day Centre Project Volunteer will involve supporting staff who work directly with clients as part of the Day Centre’s staff team responding appropriately to client’s needs.
• Supporting staff to provide a proactive and responsive service to all clients who use the day centre
• Provide support in the area of food preparation, serving and clean up and assistance with use of laundry services etc.
• Promote client participation and encourage clients to engage in activities (gardening, arts/crafts/IT Skills) or any other activities that will assist with integration into community groups, further education or employment
What's required for this position
The ideal candidate will have a proven interest in working with people who are homeless.
• Understanding of why people become homeless and the related health, welfare and support needs they have
• Understanding of a broad range of issues including mental health, addictions, relationship and family breakdown, poverty and social exclusion
- Community Development/ Social work
- General Admin/ Office Support
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 6 months
Hours required: 4hrs
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Teach Corrib Day Centre, Seamus Quirke Rd, Galway
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the clients who use our Services and the opportunity to gain practical experience in working with those experiencing homelessness