About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. In association with the local community, we support people to live independently and safely in their own homes and neighbourhoods, thereby reducing isolation. We believe in the power of community, both to create a welcome and supportive living environment for its people, and we believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
A forum has been established across our homeless services for clients to come together independently, and to contribute to the development of services in a variety of ways. One of the outcomes of the forum is to improve opportunities for social networking. In order to progress this, the members of the forum would like to recruit a volunteer to assist them with organising and scheduling activities for forum members and clients currently using homeless services.
To assist the forum with organising and scheduling activities for forum members and clients currently using homeless services.
• Meet with forum members and clients in homeless services to agree the social activities they would like to arrange
• Support clients to attend activities
• Accompany clients to social events and activities if necessary
• Help with the organising of activities i.e. booking venues, inviting participants, sending out notices of events, arranging for collection of costs of events etc.
• The role will also involve assisting with the production of a method of communication i.e. a newsletter
• Ensuring that activities are well communicated across homeless services and that an up to date list of phone numbers is available of clients wishing to be contacted re events.
• Hours and days flexible
• Office space and resources in COPE Galway will be made available to the volunteer
What's required for this position
Skills/experience which would be useful for the role:
• Previous experience in organising a social club either in a work or leisure setting
• Administrative experience i.e. ability to produce a simple newsletter, photocopying, sending web texts, making phone calls, is desired
• Organisational skills, attention to details and ability to follow through and finish up tasks
• Understanding of a community development approach/ethos would be an added advantage
• Third level qualification in Social Care/Community Development or a related field is also a requirement.
- Community Development/ Social work
- Event management/ Fundraising
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 6 months
Hours required: 5hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Teach Corrib Day Centre, Seamus Quirke Rd., Galway
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the clients who use our Services and the opportunity to gain practical experience in this volunteer role