About Dublin Simon Community
Dublin Simon Community works to prevent and address homelessness in Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow, Meath, Louth, Cavan and Monaghan. We provide services at all stages of homelessness and enable people to move to a place they can call home.
This is a fun and dynamic role volunteering within Dublin Simon Community Charity Shops. We have 2 shops one on Camden Street, Dublin 2 and the other on Thomas Street, Dublin 8. We are a Social Enterprise and not only do all the profits go back into the organisation but we also provide training and work experience for people who are homeless or exiting homeless.
• Sort sellable items based on shops sorting policy.
• Ensure shop floor is stocked sufficiently with items for sale.
• Steaming of items if required.
• Hang items in storage area and prepare for pricing.
• Tag items with pricing gun.
• Price items as per shops pricing policy.
Customer Support and Customer Service
• Provide assistance to customers as required.
• Make and receive calls from services and the general public and deal with queries in a polite and helpful manner.
• Use of Till and log items under appropriate codes.
• Support clients when they arrive in the shop to help select items of clothing.
• Log all client clothing discounts through the Clover till system.
More about Us
We are very proud of our recent Quality standard award - ReMark Quality standard of Excellence. We are the first charity shop to receive this award in Ireland and it demonstrates that we are committed to sustainability, quality and safe products and championing a circular economy.
Our shops have two important purposes – to raise much needed funds for our homeless services and to provide a working environment for our clients to receive training as a potential pathway out of homelessness and to employment
What's required for this position
Customer service is an important skill for this role and the main skill required as everything else can be learned in the role such as using the till system and our stock sorting processes. Training on our processes will be provided. We just ask to come with an open mind and good attitude.
- Community Development/ Social work
- General Admin/ Office Support
- Personable Skills
- Phone Support/ Information Giver
- Retail/ Customer Service
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 6 months
Hours required: 4hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Charity shops located at:
52 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2
116 Thomas Street, Dublin 8.
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Volunteers with the following challenges will be supported in this role
- Physical Disability
- Sensory Disability
- Learning Disability
- Mental Health Difficulties
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Dublin Simon Community has a very robust volunteer programme. Training is provided for volunteers and there are volunteer and community events on throughout the year to recgnise the role volunteers play in the organisation.
There is no parking at either shop. they are both on main bus routes. Both Camden Street and Thomas Street have many bus routes and are served well.