About Serve The City Dublin
As a volunteer-led community initiative, the aim of Serve the City is simply to meet the practical needs of people in our community. It is about bringing support to those who need it through a variety of service projects. By painting a house; clearing an overgrown garden; putting up shelves; providing cultural and social activities for asylum seekers and refugees; or befriending programmes, we demonstrate care within the community.
·Liaising closely with STC Project Coordinators.
·Attending a short briefing on the day of the tour
·Welcoming people at the beginning of the tour.
·Engaging with and befriending the residents of DPCs that attend the tour.
·Participating in cultural tours, including managing the group to make sure no one gets lost.
·Taking part in occasional team meetings.
What's required for this position
Skills & Qualities Required:
· Empathy and tactfulness.
· Reliability and punctuality.
· Friendliness and outgoing personality – people’s person.
· Interest in culture and history in general.
· Good communication and organisational skills.
Desirable Experience & Competencies:
· Experience in working as part of a team.
· Experience and/or interest in the not-for-profit sector and working with volunteers.
· Strong sense of commitment.
· Good time keeping.
Benefits of the Volunteer Role:
· Hands-on experience in the area of social integration and social inclusion.
· Opportunity to meet new people and improve and develop soft skills.
· Opportunity to visit many interesting places in Dublin and learn about Irish culture and history first hand.
· A chance to make a real impact in people’s lives.
· The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner.
· The volunteer is respectful towards all staff, clients, and other volunteers.
Please complete the Serve the City online volunteer registration here
- Community Development/ Social work
- Event management/ Fundraising
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 3 months
Hours required: 3hrs Fortnightly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
The meeting point is at Mountjoy Square, Dublin 1.
Other location details:
Various planned in advance destination like a museum, gallery or other place in Dublin
Screening details for this role:
- Informal Interviews
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Benefits of the Volunteer Role
· Hands-on experience in the area of social integration and social inclusion
· Opportunity to meet new people and improve and develop soft skills
· A chance to make a real impact in people’s lives