About Ozanam House Community Resource Centre
Ozanam House is a community project operated by the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, working directly with people in need through an action-oriented programme, attempting to effect positive change through social justice. Our work primarily involves person-to-person contact. Throughout the year we run childcare, youth, adult education and community programmes.
Things are busier now than ever in the centre especially with over 500 people using the centre each week. The demands on the service keep growing. Unfortunately our challenge more than ever is to try and keep the funds in place to maintain the service and this challenge is growing each year especially in this difficult funding environment. The contact and association with companies and individuals from the private sector therefore really does make a huge difference to the lives of those we support.
To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the centre we are constantly seeking financial support from the public and private sector. Over the past few years we have been successful in acquiring sponsorship from companies such as The McGrath Group, McCann Fitzgerald Solicitors and Diageo, however we are now in a position where we need to take this link with the private sector to a new level. We aim to research and target further companies with an interest in community investment and to complete relevant application forms where appropriate. We are therefore seeking individuals with the necessary skills, interest, contacts and drive to further develop our fundraising ambition in the centre.
There will be numerous roles on this committee for individuals with different skills.
• To promote a culture of fundraising throughout the volunteers, staff and service users extending the input our members have in the fundraising efforts in the centre.
• To identify companies with Corporate Social Responsibility, Community Social Programmes and Staff Charity funds and source the right contacts within these companies.
• To develop from this activity a list of companies to target in 2015 and beyond.
• To contact and follow up with these companies organising meetings/presentations/ donors luncheons in the centre.
• To develop these relationships and present Ozanam House as a potential partner in the CSR programmes and other fundraising programmes and events within these companies.
• To support fundraising events during the year, offering involvement to the companies we link with while promoting the centre and those involved in it.
• To develop, update and deliver powerpoint and other digital presentations.
• To develop and update documentation for specific targets.
• To review the packaging of Ozanam House and how we are presented to the private sector.
• To develop flyers and other pieces of information.
• To establish a forum within corporate sponsors/partners and present this package to them.
Other general responsibilities in the context of the role as agreed in the fundraising committee meetings.
The volunteers are expected to commit to 1-2 hours of work per week to fulfil their tasks. This time can be spent in the centre or at home and the timing is flexible.
An exception is the committee meetings. The volunteers need to attend to the committee meetings which will take place in the centre every 6 weeks. These meetings are scheduled according to member’s availability.
What's required for this position
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Written word and presentation skills
• Good organizational skills
• Administrative skills
• Creative design skills
• Digital media skills
• Good networking abilities
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Good powers of persuasion
• Creative thinking
• Effective problem solving
• Positive and energetic attitude and strong desire to meet goals and commitments
• Strong empathy with the vision and ethos of Ozanam House
- Advocacy/ Lobbyist
- Business/ HR/ Management
- Event management/ Fundraising
- Personable Skills
- PR/ Marketing/ Market Research
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 1hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Ozanam House, Mountjoy Square South, Dublin 1
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Personal development, new skills in networking and fundraising. Support our community resource centre in helping planned programmes and projects happen. Opportunity to make a great difference that is positive and rewarding – to your life and community.
Buses: 101, 103, 123. 13-minute walk from Connolly Station, 5-minute walk from O'Connell Street. Safe bike parking provided within building.