About Ozanam House Community Resource Centre
Ozanam House is a community project operated by the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, working directly with people in need through an action-oriented programme, attempting to effect positive change through social justice. Our work primarily involves person-to-person contact. Throughout the year we run childcare, youth, adult education and community programmes.
Things are busier now than ever in the centre especially with over 500 people using the centre each week. The demands on the service keep growing. Unfortunately our challenge more than ever is to try and keep the funds in place to maintain the service and this challenge is growing each year especially in this difficult funding environment.
To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the centre we hold two fundraising events each year in March and October. Our biggest success so far has been ‘Ozanam Come Dancing’ held in March each year. This year we managed to raise €30,000 for our youth summer projects.
We succeeded in bringing a number of companies from the private sector on board this year and the funds raised show the benefits of this association. A huge amount of work goes into this event as well as other events we run during the year like bag packing, world cup forecast competition and car raffles to name a few.
To achieve this we require the support of our events team who work together to bring these events to life. Hence we are constantly seeking new volunteers for our Events Committee. There will be numerous roles on this committee for individuals with different skills.
• To find and plan the venue.
• To plan, direct, support and control the events.
• To plan, develop and implement advertising for the events.
• To utilise networks to engage more representatives from the private sector in our events.
• To seek the support of companies and sponsors.
• To support event organisers and direct them in their work.
• To oversee the event on the night taking on various roles as agreed at committee meeting.
• Other general responsibilities in the context of the role as agreed in the event committee meetings.
The time commitment is flexible where more hours are required in the weeks and months leading up to the organised events. During this time of planning and preparation for the events the volunteer is expected to commit to 2 hours of work per week to fulfil their tasks. This time can be spent in the centre or at home and the timing is flexible.
In lead up to the events there will be regular meetings every two weeks.The volunteer should commit to at least one event from the planning phase till the event night which will be approximately a period of four months.
What's required for this position
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good time management skills.
• Administrative skills.
• Graphic design skills.
• Digital media skills.
• Social media skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Creative thinking.
• Effective problem solving.
• Positive and energetic attitude and strong desire to meet goals and commitments.
- Business/ HR/ Management
- Event management/ Fundraising
- General Admin/ Office Support
- Personable Skills
- PR/ Marketing/ Market Research
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 3 months
Hours required: 2hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Ozanam House, Mountjoy Square South, Dublin 1
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Personal development, new skills in organising events. To see behind the scenes of an event, get closer to the action and play a role in making an event possible. Opportunity to make a positive and rewarding difference to your life and your community.
Buses: 101, 103, 123. 13-minute walk from Connolly Station, 5-minute walk from O'Connell Street. Safe bike parking provided within building.