About Dublin Simon Community
Dublin Simon Community works to prevent and address homelessness in Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow and Meath. We provide services at all stages of homelessness and enable people to move to a place they can call home.
• Develop and implement a participation and development action plan that responds to the needs of service users using medium supported housing services.
• Work with individual service users and groups of service users to enhance their confidence, self esteem and social connections.
• Support and assist the service staff with the development of service programmes, ensuring that the individual needs of the service users are being addressed.
• Work with colleagues to synchronise all training, participation and social programmes delivered.
• Work with team to implement learning and development initiatives within housing services.
• Prepare reports, statistics and other information as required by Simon Community, to adhere to good record keeping guidelines and usage of the Pass and Internal IT Systems.
• Engage with team to ensure the continuity of service provision in housing services, to include handovers, diary, incident reports etc.
• Work closely as part of the team to implement the induction procedure and on-going support of service users.
• Liaise with staff to support service users to achieve agreed progression goals set down in their support plan.
• Ensure housing operations run smoothly - maintaining a high standard of cleanliness throughout the services both in private rooms as well as general common areas, with service user involvement where feasible.
• Ensure health, safety and welfare is prioritised at all times within services including maintenance, safety and neighbourhood checks and other processes.
• Assist in the preparations of rooms for service user intake to ensure standards are maintained.
• Facilitate service users when moving from current location to new location.
• Ensure service users adhere to terms and conditions of agreements relating to their accommodation and service users are alerted to any situation or behaviour which may result in breaches of this agreement in line with policies and procedures of DSC.
• Ensure a high standard of customer service is provided and complaints are dealt with in an efficient and appropriate manor in accordance with complaints and appeals policy and procedures.
• Investigate damage to properties, taking appropriate action and or notifying Service manager of incident in line with policies and procedures in place, producing timely reports as required.
• Respond to all incidents immediately and ensure consistent appropriate follow up.
What's required for this position
•Qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. Social Care, Psychology, Social sciences, Community work.
•Knowledge of homelessness and the reasons why people become homeless.
•Knowledge of the services available to people who are experiencing homelessness.
•Effective team working.
•Excellent communication skills.
•Strong organisational skills Experience of working in a similar voluntary role.
- Community Development/ Social work
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 7hrs Weekly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Within Dublin City Centre
Other location details:
Within Dublin City Centre
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Ongoing training opportunities
No age restrictions
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
• Commitment to the purpose of Dublin Simon Community and to volunteer within the values, policies and procedures of the organization and in the context of current legislation and regulations.
Within Dublin City Centre easily accessible by bus or luas.