About Ozanam House Community Resource Centre
Ozanam House is a community project operated by the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, working directly with people in need through an action-oriented programme, attempting to effect positive change through social justice. Our work primarily involves person-to-person contact. Throughout the year we run childcare, youth, adult education and community programmes.
We are looking for empathetic and energetic volunteers that help us with our 2019 summer youth project!
The tasks include:
• Attend the Induction Training, Child Protection Training session and Summer project Training Days.
• Working directly with the children and young people supporting them in all aspects of their daily activities and routines.
• Utilising and sharing your skills to ensure that the time you offer the programme is quality time.
• Supporting the staff in their role of providing quality care for the children in our service.
• Acting as a role model to the children, supporting them in all areas of their learning and development.
• To work as part of the summer project team with volunteers, students and managers.
• To learn about youth work and good youth work practices with the help and support of the team through daily meetings with the team.
• Using policies and procedures in working with the children. Youth Leaders will get to know all of the centres policies and procedures over the first few months of work with the help and support of staff.
Approx 30 hours per week, over the period: 15th to 26th of July.
What's required for this position
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to establish good relationships with children and young people very important
• Understanding of the factors affecting young people and their lives and a strong commitment and enthusiasm to children and young people
• Good organizational skills
• Good level of energy and fun
• An accepting and non-authoritarian approach
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Reliability, patience, resilience and flexibility
• Ability to treat children and young people’s concerns with respect, tact and sensitivity
• Ability to be aware of own limits, to admit it and to ask for support
• Previous experience is desirable but not essential
- Interest and commitment to developing the capacity to provide reliable support to children and young people in times of stress and act with integrity, respect and support
- Community Development/ Social work
- Personable Skills
- Youth/ Childcare
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: Once Off
Hours required: 10hrs Three times per week
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Ozanam House, 53 Mountjoy Square West, Dublin 1
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
• General happiness and satisfaction.
• Personal and professional development in terms of confidence, patience, adaptability.
• Learn new skills (decision-making and finding alternatives, leadership skills, communication skills, organizational skills)