About EDIT (Edenmore Drugs Intervention Team)
EDIT is a community drug and alcohol project that provides support for young people, adults. Edenmore Drug Intervention Team (EDIT) supports people at risk of, or affected by, problem substance use. EDIT was established in Edenmore in 1997 and continues to deliver a range of services to the local community along with people from across north east Dublin.
EDIT has undergone a period of significant change in the last two years which has resulted in growth in client numbers and expansion of services offering, particularly for family members affected by substance. We also relocated to a larger, improved and purpose-fitted location resulting in greater presence and visibility in the Edenmore community.
Purpose of this Role:
Building a dedicated and talented board has been integral to this development. We are looking for enthusiastic leaders to join our board and contribute to the organisation’s ongoing evolution, success and enhanced quality as a leading, community-based service.
Support & Training:
You will receive Induction to the organisation and briefing pack. Local area partnership provides free Directors Training including an overview of the Governance Code
Meeting take place approximately every 6 weeks, usually on Thursday evenings for approximately 2 – 2.5 hours, in Edenmore, Raheny, Dublin 5.
What’s in it for you?
• Develop your career through first-hand experience at the most senior level of an organisation, exercising strategy, contributing to major decisions, overseeing performance and acting as an advocate
• Become a governance leader, enhancing the governing capacity of a community-based organisation
• Enhance the board’s diversity by sharing your point of view
• Make a meaningful difference to a non-profit organisation and the community they serve, by sharing your professional skill-set
• Work with inspirational people with a wealth of cross-sectoral experience
What's required for this position
More About You:
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic new board member who:
• Has professional experience in corporate governance and/or an area of organisational management such as: finance; HR; strategy development; change management; PR and communications; or organisational sustainability.
• Can commit to a minimum of one year on the board
• Will attend and engage at meetings approximately once every 6 weeks (Tuesday evenings)
• Will be responsive to correspondence in between meetings when decisions/guidance/support are required by the Services Manager
• Will participate in occasional board training
• Familiarity with the Charities Governance Code (compliance will be mandatory by 2020) is not required. However, if the candidate is new to the sector and associated corporate governance developments, a willingness to become familiar with such and contribute to the organisation’s achievement of timely compliance will be necessary.
- Accountancy/ Finance
- Business/ HR/ Management
- Community Development/ Social work
- Personable Skills
- PR/ Marketing/ Market Research
- Youth/ Childcare
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 4hrs Monthly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Unit 6, Edenmore Shopping Centre, Edenmore, Dublin 5
Screening details for this role:
- Informal Interviews
- Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Volunteers with the following challenges will be supported in this role
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Career development - first-hand experience at the most senior level of an organisation, exercising strategy, contributing to major decisions, overseeing performance and acting as an advocate. Enhancing governing capacity of a community-based organisation
DART: Raheny or Kilbarrack. Dublin Bus: 17a, 7a.