About Conversation Salons
Conversation Salons are relaxed informal café style gatherings that bring together people of different backgrounds, ages, nationalities and worldviews for interesting and uplifting conversation on lots of different topics. We want Ireland to be a more connected, friendly, inclusive, socially engaged place!
Conversation Salons are all about getting people away from their phones and screens, having real face-to-face conversations with people in your community, moving away from chit chat and getting to talk about things you really care about, all about human connection and welcoming in all types of people and celebrating what a diverse country Ireland is and how interesting people are once you invite them to share their stories, ideas and life experiences.
Do you like meeting new people and organising inspiring events? This could be the perfect opportunity for you, become a Host of Conversation Salons!
If you would enjoy bringing different kinds of people together in a welcoming atmosphere to have enriching conversations, please join us to host these events! We’d love you to help us:
• Reclaim face-to-face conversation in the digital age
• Revive the art of conversation
• Build community, connect people, create a sense of belonging
You will take charge of the event and its various elements:
1. You will welcome people as they arrive and introduce them to other attendees, take care of the admission charge, sign people in and take the emails of new people.
2. Distribute Conversation Menus to attendees, lay them out on tables.
3. Formally open and address the gathering to welcome everyone, describe the background idea briefly, explain how the evening works, the format and ground rules and emphasise the ethos, culture and values of the salons
4. Time keeping as regards the start time, people moving tables at half time and the finish time.
5. Participate at tables to gauge how the event is going.
6. Take photos for social media
7. Distribute and collect feedback forms
8. You will do a brief closure of the event offering people a chance to share with the larger gathering any insights or light-bulb moments that arose.
9. Say goodbye to people as they leave, asking how they got on and encouraging them to return and spread the word.
10. Create new conversation menus with varied and thought-provoking questions and topics.
What's required for this position
Conversation Salons Hosts are people who are passionate about connecting people and breaking down social barriers. They enjoy creating opportunities for stimulating meaningful conversations that inspire and energise people.
Hosts put lots of energy into organising the salons. They care about making it a welcoming, enjoyable and inclusive space. They are the person everyone can count on to show up and make sure everything is in place for each salon to be a great event. All hosts are asked to sign up to and commit to the values and ethos of the project.
A Conversation Salons Host is someone who……..
• Is passionate about the vision and ethos of Conversation Salons and creating a welcoming and inclusive community culture
• Is a warm friendly socially-skilled person, a people person
• Is comfortable hosting or facilitating groups, putting people at their ease, good at networking
• Is resourceful and committed
• Is organised and enjoys working in a team of volunteers
• Likes coming up with thought-provoking topics and questions
- Community Development/ Social work
- Event management/ Fundraising
- Hospitality/ Befriending
- Personable Skills
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 1 year
Hours required: 6hrs Fortnightly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
Dublin & Cork locations:
Third Space Cafe, Unit 14 Block C, Smithfield Markets, Smithfield, Dublin 7, D07 P440
Tiramisu Cafe,17 Proby's Quay, The Lough, Cork
Also available in these counties
Kildare, Cork, Dublin
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Application Form
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
Volunteers with the following challenges will be supported in this role
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
You will be part of an enthusiastic team. You get training and support. It’s very rewarding to create welcoming inclusive community spaces that fight loneliness, break down social barriers and celebrate diversity. Salons are enjoyable fun feelgood events.
Dublin - Luas Red Line stops at Smithfield right beside Third Space Cafe