About EDIT (Edenmore Drugs Intervention Team)
EDIT is a community drug and alcohol project that provides support for young people, adults and families who are at risk of, and who are affected by problem substance use and its associated issues. EDIT is currently made up of two limited companies and has delivered a range of services in Edenmore, Woodbine and Millbrook since 1997.
We are currently undergoing an organisational change process which has been initiated after a thorough and robust review by HSE Addiction Services. The review has been welcomed by the existing board members, and we are excited about the future development of the organisation.
Our key priorities for 2018 is to focus on offering the highest standards of service delivery to meet the changing needs of the community. In order to achieve this, we recognise that we need to produce a new three-year strategic plan 2018-2020, which will provide us with a road map to improved, sustainable outcomes and Better Safer Healthcare (HSE National Standards).
Expressions of interest are now being sought from persons available to serve on the board as Chairperson in a voluntary capacity. As the figurehead of the organisation the Chairperson’s role is pivotal to the success of EDIT. As EDIT is going through a period of significant re-structuring, the Chairperson will be required to give a time commitment of approximately 2 days per month.
The responsibilities of the chairperson are to:
• Chair meetings.
• Plan meetings and develop the agenda in conjunction with the secretary and/or the most senior member of staff.
• Provide leadership and ensure the effective operation of the governing body.
• Ensure that decisions made at meetings are implemented.
• Work closely with the Services Manager.
• Undertake the supervision and appraisal of the Services Manager.
• Provide a focus for the governing body of the organisation (please note, however, that the chairperson has no more authority than any other committee member unless this is specified in your governing document).
• Act as a spokesperson for the organisation and/or the governing body.
• Sign and certify the annual accounts for the organisation.
The board at its meetings will review all applicants and potential candidates will be invited to meet with the Company Secretary, and Services Manager before a final decision is made. References will be sought for this position.
What's required for this position
The ideal candidate should have some or all of the following:
• Strong leadership qualities.
• The ability to be impartial and listen to all viewpoints without dominating discussion.
• Organisational Management Experience.
• Executive mentoring/coaching experience.
• A strong working knowledge of The Governance Code for the voluntary and community sector.
• HR knowledge/experience.
• Understand the needs of individuals, families and communities affected by substance use .
• Be fluent in the English Language.
- Accountancy/ Finance
- Business/ HR/ Management
- General Admin/ Office Support
- Personable Skills
- PR/ Marketing/ Market Research
Level of English required for this role:
Times and commitment required for this role
Minimum time commitment: 2 years
Hours required: 2hrs Monthly
Location of volunteering opportunity:
205 Edenmore Avenue, Edenmore, Raheny, Dublin 5v
Screening details for this role:
- Informal Interviews
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Volunteers with the following challenges will be supported in this role
Is this opportunity suitable for groups/teams of volunteers?
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
Career development - first-hand experience at the most senior level of an organisation, exercising strategy, contributing to major decisions, overseeing performance and acting as an advocate. Enhancing governing capacity of a community-based organisation.
Located on 17a and 27a bus routes. 15-minute walk from Raheny DART station.